Franklin Middle School

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Athletic Training » What to do if your child has an injury

What to do if your child has an injury

Any time your child has a serious injury they should report it to you and their respective coach FIRST, who will then notify me.  After evaluation, if necessary I will contact you so that we may collaborate on scheduling a doctor’s appointment.  If their doctor requires complete restriction from activity and rehabilitation for more than 2 weeks, you will need to schedule rehabilitation sessions with a physical therapist of your choice.  My office and availability is not set up to provide long term rehabilitation programs for the athletes of FISD.  Also, immediate post-operative rehabilitation for injuries such as ligament repairs, meniscus repairs, and/or fracture repairs should be done with a physical therapist.  Follow-up maintenance can be done at school after they have reached a point that doesn’t require intense one-on-one supervision.  

    FISD offers supplemental insurance for all athletes that have a school related accident/injury.  This insurance is not intended to provide or replace individual, family, or group healthcare insurance coverage.  In order for your bill to be considered for coverage, treatment by a doctor and filing of the claim must occur within 90 days from the date of injury.  Please be mindful of this if you are contemplating evaluation or  “trying to make it to the end of the season” before reporting an injury.  It is the responsibility of the parent to follow up with each provider to ensure the bills are submitted on time.  More information on the district’s insurance policy can be found on the back of the Student Accident Claim form.